Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
3745 Kimball Avenue
Memphis, Tennessee 38111
901 743 6421
holytrinitymemphis@yahoo.com

Mission Statement: "Through outreach, care, diversity, and tradition we will share the faith, talent,                                     and resources given to us by God."

Looking for a small, friendly and diverse congregation? One with caring people and lots of love? Well, Holy Trinity may just be the perfect place! You are always welcome to "come and see" what our family is all about. What about this Sunday? We would love to have you!

The Right Reverend Don E. Johnson ~ Bishop
The Reverend Phoebe Roaf ~ Bishop-Elect
The Reverend James W. Cubine ~ Priest-in-Charge
Tyrus Legge, CAGO ~ Organist & Administrative Assistant

2019 Vestry Members
Jeane Chapman, Senior Warden
Cathy Williamson, Treasurer
Brenda Echols
Dr. James Gholson
Thomas Harris
Ruth Irick
Dr. Ann Marie Motley, Secretary
Dr. Thomas Motley

A Brief History of Holy Trinity Church


Holy Trinity Church maintains a rich heritage and history. The information for this writing was taken from the 100th anniversary book compiled in 2001 by the members of the Church.


And here is an interesting note...The King of Rock and Roll once served as a groomsman at a wedding at Holy Trinity in 1961...Yes, Elvis Presley was in Holy Trinity Church!!!


Written by Ty Legge, Organist & Parish Administrator











Holy Trinity Episcopal dates from 1901

The Church dates to August 1901 when its first service was held in the home of the F.D. Talley’s. The name Holy Trinity Episcopal Church was agreed upon on November of that year. The cornerstone was laid on Easter Day 1902 and the first service in the church was observed on Whitsunday 1902. Holy Trinity was consecrated in 1904 by Bishop Frank Gailor. It gained parish status in 1909. The church was located at what is now Cummings St and Talley Pl off of South Parkway East, about two blocks north of Coletta’s Italian Restaurant at S Parkway E and I-240.

Holy Trinity moves eastward

The Church moved eastward to the Sherwood Forest/Cherokee Heights neighborhood in the late 50’s. It merged with St. Edward’s Mission and occupied the former Greer estate on Kimball Rd. A two-story home (formerly a log cabin but later given a Southern Colonial façade) served as worship space until the present Nave was built and occupied. Later a two-story building was erected to serve as office space, Parish Hall, choir room, and Christian Ed rooms. The Colonial home was often used as a rectory. But when it burned in Nov 2000, no one was living in the house. A new similar building was built and now serves as office space, Parish Hall, Suzuki Violin Studio, and Reading Rampage classroom. It has been named The Columns and sits in front of the St. George Independent School-Memphis Campus. The school system began a kindergarten class in the fall of 2001 at the Church and is now a school for Pre-K through Grade 5. The school uses the Church for its Chapel Services and other programs and maintains the properties and all buildings on the campus.

The Baptismal Font

One of the church’s founding families was the Chambers family, and Mary Beth Pate, a 102 year-old descendant, continues to attend weekly services. The Baptismal Font was given as a memorial to Sidney Porter Chambers and there are other memorials to the Chambers family members.

The Grape Vine Altar

In the Chancel one can view the unique Grapevine Altar which is free-standing and dates from the mid 80’s.

Windows from Old Holy Trinity are incorporated into the 1959 structure

Windows from the old church were incorporated into the new Nave as side windows as well as in the Narthex. There are three window panels that divide the Narthex from the Nave and under-lighted.

Noack Tracker Organ-1986

Another treasure is the 21-rank Noack Tracker Organ which was installed in 1986. It continues to lead the congregation in enthusiastic hymn singing. Occasionally, there are concerts at Holy Trinity that feature the fabulous instrument.

Mother's Memorial Window-Chancel

The new stained glass creations in the Chancel over the Altar include the Mothers’ Memorial Window which pictures the Blessed Virgin Mary holding the Christ Child, Elizabeth holding John the Baptizer, and Eve holding Abel.